Sunday, January 26, 2014

Life Is Short

Disclaimer: So my mom says I have a weird type of humor. And I suppose I do because only my really good friends understand me and know when I'm joking or not. And my mom knows me better than anyone on this planet and God knows she would be the first person I would talk to when I had a serious problem. But a lot of the time, only my friends get me. And if you know me, I sometimes have a very vulgar way of saying things that are bitchy but 120% true.

Now I have a Tumblr, which I've been running since December 2010 and it is a different way to express myself. In the last 3 years that I've had this blog, I came across a few different quotes that I enjoyed and could relate to. This one is probably the best:

"Life is too damn short. For fucks sake, do what makes you happy."

It's simple, not original by any means, but is entirely true.

I remember in elementary school, we read a story about two sisters who lived two different lives.
One sister, saved every penny, didn't have any fun, and owned a huge house. The other sister, lived crazy. She followed bands, married young, lived out of her car. And when the two sisters were old, the crazy one stayed with her the responsible one and said she was glad for living her life the way she did. And my teacher said that it was important to be both the sisters, to scrimp and save but also have fun. But even as a kid, I could see that there was nothing wrong with either of their lives. If she wanted to save, and that's what made her happy, then she lived her life the way she wanted to. And the other sister did the same. You could be either or both and be happy. It doesn't matter to anyone but you and you shouldn't base your happiness on what you think you should do.

I guess my point is: While its good to be responsible and have a plan and work and save, its also important to do what makes you happy. It's ok to be selfish sometimes. And the most beautiful thing is that it all depends on who you are. Being selfish to me, is saving money and not going out every night so I can study and work so I can move out of this state that I feel has been holding me back. Because I want to move and in my mind nothing can hold me back from that.

To you being selfish is getting those new shoes because you think you worked hard for them. It could be getting a tattoo. It could be cutting your hair. Anything.

So do what makes you happy. Be selfish every now and then. Plan a future. But don't forget to let go of the stress and the tension every now and then and go to dinner with your best friend.

Be both sisters or just be one. It's up to you and only you.

Because life is short. Enjoy it the way you want to before its too late.

Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment